"Cut up turnips that have been either boiled or cooked under the
ashes. Likewise do the same with rich cheese, not too ripe.
These should be smaller morsels than the turnips, though. In a pan
greased with butter or liquamen, make a layer of cheese first, then a
layer of turnips, and so on, all the while pouring in spice and
some butter, from time to time. This dish is quickly cooked and should
be eaten quickly, too."
For 25 8x8 trays:
- 17 lbs cheese (combination of muenster, sharp cheddar, and soft
- 25-30 lbs turnips
- 1/2 lb butter
- Cut tops and roots off the turnips
- Boil Turnips for half an hour to 45 minutes, until fork tender (but
- Cool turnips, peel and slice into 1/8 - 1/4 " thick slices
- cut slices of cheddar cheese and lay them in the pans to cover the bottom.
- Top with a layer of turnips (with very thin slices of turnips, top with
- sprinkle with ground mace and pepper
- add a few bits of butter (very thin pats maybe 1/2" wide) scattered over
- cover with slices of shredded cheese
- Repeat the previous 4 steps 1-2 times
- Bake in a 300-350 degree oven until hot, with cheese melted (crispy cheese
at the corners according to taste).
All materials copyright Jennifer Heise or original authors as otherwise specified.
Permission is granted for use as printed handouts and for cooking as long as you
let me know (email@example.com) and if you
republish, get me a copy. My homepage: http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga